Course Information

VISA Applications

Visa Applications

You must have a visa to study in Australia. And you must be enrolled in a full-time registered course to apply for an Australian student visa.

You can apply for a visa online at the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Citizenship website or in person at an Australian Embassy or Diplomatic Post. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s preferred method of applying for visas depends on the country you’re applying from. This can affect application processing times, so it’s a good idea to visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website before deciding how to apply.

Alternatively, you can use a registered Australian education agent to help you apply for your visa.

Back to topTop

Short Courses

Students studying a short course of less than 12 weeks need to apply for a visitor visa. This can be done online at the Electronic Travel Authority website. Visit the website to find out if you’re eligible (not all countries are). If you’re not, visit the forms page on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website to apply.

If a registered education agent has arranged a short study tour to Victoria for you, the agent may also handle your visa application.

You should arrange travel or private medical insurance if you plan to visit Victoria on one of these visas.

Back to topTop

Student Visas

If your course is 12 weeks or longer you’ll need a student visa.

Start making plans for your student visa as soon as you can, as applications can take weeks or even months to process. How long it takes depends on your country of origin and the course you wish to study.

To apply for a student visa, you’ll need:

  • A letter of Offer and Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment from the institution.
  • A receipt showing you’ve paid your tuition fees (most institutions will ask you to pay at least the first semester in advance).
  • A valid passport.
  • A medical report showing your good health. (You’ll need to have a medical examination. When you apply for a visa you will be given a list of approved doctors in your country and the forms the doctor must complete for you.)
  • Proof of having paid Overseas Student Health Cover.

You may also be required to provide other items, such as proof of financial capability and/or evidence of English language proficiency.

Visit the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Citizenship website or Study in Australia to learn more.

Take the time to go through these steps carefully. After all, when you choose Melbourne, you’re not just choosing a travel destination. You’re choosing an education and a career path.

This is your future.